6/13/10

Making Brown Rice in the Microwave


I get asked all the time if you can make brown rice successfully in the microwave. The answer is yes! Here is how I get perfect brown rice every time.

2 cups brown rice
4 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons canola oil

In a BPA free microwave rice cooker (The one from Pampered Chef is BPA free) pour in all of the ingredients. Microwave on high for 15 minutes. Remove rice cooker from microwave and swish ingredients to stir (do not remove the lid). Return to the microwave and cook on half power for 40 minutes. Remove lid away from you (so you don't burn yourself on the steam). Fluff with a fork.

My personal touches. I love Trader Joe's Brown Rice Medley--a blend of brown rice, black barley, daikon and radish seeds. I also replace the canola oil with a garlic infused canola oil whenever I have it in the pantry.

Tip: Cooked rice freezes fantastic. I like to keep a container of it in the freezer at all times. Perfect for a quick snack or to accompany last night's left-overs for a quick lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment