6/13/10

Curry Lentils with Coconut Rice & Naan

I really wanted Indian food. So, to save money I tried to make some at home instead of going out! This was enough for my husband and I for dinner, plus a lunch-sized leftover portion for tomorrow. You can use the naan like you would a tortilla to scoop up the lentils and rice. It really soaks up all the yummy flavors!



Curry Lentils

2 tablespoon olive oil
1 chopped scallion (or 1/2 a white or yellow onion)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 shredded carrot
4 tablespoons yellow curry
1 teaspoon cumin
2 cups yellow lentils
1 can diced tomatoes (or about 1/2 cup fresh)
Water
Salt

Heat oil and add scallion, garlic, carrot, tomatoes and spices. Saute until veggies have softened. Then add lentils and enough water to cover ingredients. Cover and simmer about 20 min or until lentils are soft and almost mushy. Add salt to taste.

Coconut Rice

This is really simple and totally cheating. I just added 1/2 a can of canned coconut milk to a bag of frozen microwaveable rice. Ta-da!

Naan

8 oz lukewarm water
1 teaspoon sugar (I used raw since I'm staying away from the refined stuff)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
2 cups flour (I used white flour, I'm trying to get rid of it...cut me some slack!)
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
2 cloves minced garlic

Add sugar and yeast to water, stir to dissolve and set aside for 10-15 min. Add yeast/sugar water to flour. Then, add garlic, salt and lemon juice. Combine, make dough into a ball and set aside to rise for 15 min. Then, cut dough into 5-6 pieces and roll out on a floured surface, making each piece 1/4 inch thick. Heat up a non-stick griddle pan on high. Next, grill dough ensure that the pieces don't touch (I did 2 at a time). When you start to see bubbles, flip the dough and grill until crispy and the dough starts to make a pillow. Remove from heat and serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment